Field Technician (5)
Title: Field Technician (5)
Reporting To: Branch Coordinator
Job Opening: July 4, 2018
Application Deadline: July 18, 2018
Duty stations: Kampala, Mukono, Iganga, Wobulenzi, Masaka (Specify preferred duty stations)
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise based in Uganda. Our mission is providing finance and support to help the self employed own income generating assets. Our core product is a lease to own model for motorcycle taxi drivers (boda bodas) who own their own motorcycles in 19 months or less with weekly payments similar to what they otherwise pay to rent indefinitely from informal landlords. Ownership significantly increases income, job security and road safety.
Tugende currently serves over 6,000 active customers in Uganda through 150+ employees across 7 branches, and 4,500 additional leases have already been fully repaid.
With a market for motorcycle taxis of over 800,000 drivers in East Africa alone, Tugende is expanding rapidly in our core product. We are also building a platform with our staff, branches, data, systems, and deep knowledge of earners in the informal sector, which will easily enable us to expand into other asset finance and value added services offerings in the near future.
About this Role:
The Field Technician is a thorough professional with a practical mind and attention to detail. The ideal candidate will be able to work autonomously and responsibly by conducting motorcycle procurement, pre-delivery inspections, delivery coordination, installations, testing, repairs and maintenance of all Tugende motorcycles.
Key duties to be performed:
The job holder will perform the following duties:
- Complete the motorcycle procurement process including but not limited to signing off the pre-delivery inspection notes and managing the inventory.
- Accurately conduct pre-delivery inspection on all received motorcycles and ensure all necessary maintenance are reported before delivery.
- Coordinate delivery of motorcycles (including loading, paying the delivery agents, offloading, monitoring and reporting any damages) from the supplier to Tugende warehouse.
- Accurately capture all new motorcycle details into the system, before disbursement.
- Read and interpret equipment manuals and repair orders / instructions to perform required maintenance and service.
- Manage all installations, repairs, maintenance and testing of motorcycles before disbursement.
- Provide technical, maintenance services and customer support during field visits or dispatches of motorcycles.
- Document, share and make recommendations on status of company assets with relevant members of the operations team based on fieldwork discoveries.
- Produce accurate, timely and detailed service reports to the Branch Coordinator.
- Perform any other technical related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
a) Preferred skills, knowledge & abilities
- Ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision
- Ability to interpret & understand technical diagrams and manuals
- Ability to work flexible shifts and to adapt to changing work schedules
- Familiarity with mobile tools and applications
- Knowledge of health and safety issues related to motorcycle use, including electrical, mechanical and chemical risks
- Motorcycle riding proficiency with willingness to quickly develop into expert status
- Computer literate with ability to use MS Office and Google Suite.
- Strong problem-solving skills
b) Preferred Qualification:
- A minimum of a diploma in; Electrical / Mechanical / Automobile Engineering, or Motor Vehicle mechanics, obtained from a certified and recognised institution of learning.
- Should have a valid driving / riding licence most preferably class "A".
c) Preferred experience:
- At least 1 year work experience as a mechanic or electrician with a reputable organisation or institute.
- Superb technical skills to diagnose and determine the best technical solutions from non-technical descriptions.
d) Key competencies
- Good customer service skills to deal sensitively with customers
- Proficiency in 2 or more local languages
- High level of professionalism and integrity
What will you gain?
Career Trajectory: This is a role with significant potential to grow as the company and Special Projects function grow. Someone who does this job can be promoted to; Senior Field Technician, Field Technician Supervisor or Branch Coordinator.
Career Development: You will constantly develop skills and further your career while working with Tugende by building knowledge of and skills at using Tugende systems, understanding of lease accounting, Improve computer skills, Learn new methods to work with clients and help them overcome repayment challenges, Stay abreast of new innovations and financial services so as to better meet customer needs, Participate in programing: Attend career development programs organized by Tugende and learn how to ride a motorcycle
Hours and compensation: This position is for a full-time employee who can take on additional responsibilities as new tasks and projects come up.
Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are changing the face of the boda-boda industry in Uganda, and proving that young men with little education can take on the responsibility of financing a significant asset and earning a liveable wage. Help be part of this movement!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of 150+ Employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our clients. Our headquarters are in Kampala, and we also have offices in Eastern and Western Uganda.
More About Tugende
Tugende means “let’s go” in Luganda and signifies the company's mission and what you say on the back of a motorcycle taxi. Tugende has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow, 2016 GSBI Fellow, and received the MIT Zambezi prize in 2015 as one of the top 3 financial inclusion start-ups in Africa. We have appeared in The Guardian, BBC, Economist, and elsewhere.
Tugende plans to expand to at least 20 locations in Uganda over the next two years as well as to expand regionally to countries such as Rwanda, Kenya and Tanzania. Tugende is currently launching a pilot in Kigali, Rwanda's capital city.
Beyond geographic growth, Tugende's future will include multiple asset finance products, value added services like insurance, and cutting-edge technology implementation for credit scoring and tools to help Tugende to reach millions of customers without losing high touch personal support.