Field Intelligence Officer (5)
Title: Field Intelligence Officer (5)
Reporting To: Branch Coordinator
Job Opening: July 4,2018
Application Deadline: July 18, 2018 before 6:00pm
Duty stations: Kampala, Mukono, Iganga, Wobulenzi, Masaka (Specify preferred duty station)
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise based in Uganda. Our mission is providing finance and support to help the self employed own income generating assets. Our core product is a lease to own model for motorcycle taxi drivers (boda bodas) who own their own motorcycles in 19 months or less with weekly payments similar to what they otherwise pay to rent indefinitely from informal landlords. Ownership significantly increases income, job security and road safety.
Tugende currently serves over 6,000 active customers in Uganda through 150+ employees across 7 branches, and 4,500 additional leases have already been fully repaid.
With a market for motorcycle taxis of over 800,000 drivers in East Africa alone, Tugende is expanding rapidly in our core product. We are also building a platform with our staff, branches, data, systems, and deep knowledge of earners in the informal sector, which will easily enable us to expand into other asset finance and value added services offerings in the near future.
About this Role:
This position will play an integral role in the operations of Tugende. The Field Intelligence Supervisors will serve as the main point of contact between Tugende and clients who have any motorcycle security issues. The goal is to help Tugende in maintaining excellent working conditions by keeping our assets (motorcycles and customers) safe and problem free.
The position involves creating a secure work environment for our staff and customers is of utmost importance to Tugende. As a Field Intelligence Supervisor, you will be responsible for minimizing theft, vandalism and any other suspicious or criminal behavior, working closely with relevant law enforcement authorities. You will also be a key point of contact for customers who have security challenges, and respect, customer dignity and professionalism are key attributes
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure all client security issues are dealt with integrity and in a timely manner.
- Support the field team in coordinating Collection and Recovery operations
- Ensure all field operations conducted by the Field Officers are managed effectively & with safety & care
- Coordinate all security related measures for Tugende, including making reports and follow ups with police and other relevant authorities.
- Maintain proper record keeping and timely reporting on any security and safety threats to the company.
- Ensure safe custody of all company property/assets at all times.
- Advise the company on all security related matters both internally and externally as well as participate in taking corrective/preventive actions on such matters.
- Supervise the day and night time security guards.
a) Preferred skills, knowledge & abilities
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to quickly analyze information and take informed decisions
- Good risk assessment skills
- Ability to build strong professional network
- Able to work under pressure with minimum supervision
- Strong emotional intelligence
- Motorcycle riding proficiency with willingness to quickly develop into expert status
- Proficiency in multiple local languages will be an added advantage
- Computer literate with ability to use MS Office and Google Suite.
- Good communication and Interpersonal skills.
b) Preferred Qualification:
- A university diploma in any business related field from a reputable institution of learning.
- Relevant training in security from recognised institution
- 2 years’ work experience as a Security Officer in a reputable organisation..
- Good customer experience and able to deal with difficult clients
d) Key competencies
- Hold values similar to our own: Integrity;- Empathy, Teamwork, Solutions Oriented and Always growing.
- Confidentiality: Able to handle sensitive information professionally and confidentially
- Positive Attitude: main a mindset of “getting things done” and finding satisfaction in developing sustainable long-term solutions at all times.
- Flexible and resilient : Willingness to travel, flexible in schedule and work hours, seek direct feedback and see every challenge as opportunity to grow.
What will you gain?
Career Trajectory: This is a role with significant potential to grow as the company and Operations function grow. The person doing this job can be promoted to Head of Security.
Hours and compensation: This position is for a full-time employee who can take on additional responsibilities as new tasks and projects come up.
Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are changing the face of the boda industry in Uganda, and proving that young men with little education can take on the responsibility of financing a significant asset and earning a liveable wage. Help be part of this movement!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of 150+ Employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our clients. Our headquarters are in Kampala, and we also have offices in Eastern and Western Uganda.
More About Tugende
Tugende means “let’s go” in Luganda and signifies the company's mission and what you say on the back of a motorcycle taxi. Tugende has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow, 2016 GSBI Fellow, and received the MIT Zambezi prize in 2015 as one of the top 3 financial inclusion start-ups in Africa. We have appeared in The Guardian, BBC, Economist, and elsewhere.
Tugende plans to expand to at least 20 locations in Uganda over the next two years as well as to expand regionally to countries such as Rwanda, Kenya and Tanzania. Tugende is currently launching a pilot in Kigali, Rwanda's capital city.
Beyond geographic growth, Tugende's future will include multiple asset finance products, value added services like insurance, and cutting-edge technology implementation for credit scoring and tools to help Tugende to reach millions of customers without losing high touch personal support.