Security Guard (7)
Job Title: Security Guards(7)
Reporting To: Branch Coordinator
Job Opening: July 4,2018
Application Deadline: July 18,2018
Duty station: Kampala, Mukono, Iganga, Wobulenzi, Masaka,Mbarara (Specify preferred duty station)
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise based in Uganda. Our mission is providing finance and support to help the self employed own income generating assets. Our core product is a lease to own model for motorcycle taxi drivers (boda bodas) who own their own motorcycles in 19 months or less with weekly payments similar to what they otherwise pay to rent indefinitely from informal landlords. Ownership significantly increases income, job security and road safety.
Tugende currently serves over 6,000 active customers in Uganda through 150+ employees across 7 branches, and 4,500 additional leases have already been fully repaid.
With a market for motorcycle taxis of over 800,000 drivers in East Africa alone, Tugende is expanding rapidly in our core product. We are also building a platform with our staff, branches, data, systems, and deep knowledge of earners in the informal sector, which will easily enable us to expand into other asset finance and value added services offerings in the near future.
About this Role:
This position will play an integral role in the operations of Tugende. The Security Guard will serve as the main point of contact between Tugende and our clients who are accessing our premises.The goal is to help Tugende in maintaining excellent working conditions by keeping our assets (motorcycles) safe, employees safety and problem free
The position involves creating a secure work environment for our staff and customers is of utmost importance to Tugende. As a Security Guard, you will be responsible for detecting any suspicious behaviour and preventing thefts, vandalism or other criminal behaviour.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct effective search of all individuals accessing the company premises
- Observe all security related measures launched by Tugende.
- Maintain proper record keeping and timely reporting on any security and safety threats to the company.
- Take responsibility for all the guarding tools assigned to at the time of assuming duty.
- Ensure safe custody of all company property/assets at all times.
- Manage and Restrict access to the Office premises after business hours and during weekends as per the set security guidelines at the Company premises.
- Participate in security trainings
Preferred skills, knowledge & abilities
- You must hold values similar to our own: Integrity;- Empathy, Teamwork, Solutions Oriented and Always growing.
- Ability to work flexible shifts and adapt to changing work schedules
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to handle sensitive information professionally and confidentially
- Desire to show initiative
- Ability to work quickly under pressure without supervision
- Strong emotional intelligence
- Motorcycle riding proficiency with willingness to quickly develop into expert status
- Proficiency in multiple local languages will be an added advantage
- Computer literate with ability to use MS Office and Google Suite.
- Good communication and Interpersonal skills.
- Minimum of “O”Level certificate is desirable.
- Relevant training in security from recognised institution
- 2 years’ work experience as a Security Guard in a reputable organisation..
- Good customer experience and able to deal with difficult clients
- Hold values similar to our own: Integrity;- Empathy, Teamwork, Solutions Oriented and Always growing.
- Confidentiality: Able to handle sensitive information professionally and confidentially
- Positive Attitude: main a mindset of “getting things done” and finding satisfaction in developing sustainable long-term solutions at all times.
- Flexible and resilient : Willingness to travel, flexible in schedule and work hours, seek direct feedback and see every challenge as opportunity to grow.
What will you gain?
Career Trajectory: This is a role with significant potential to grow as the company and Operations function grow. The person doing this job can be promoted to Security Officer, Head of Security, or even join other Operations roles after demonstrated performance and potential. You will learn how to cope in a fast paced, people based environment, master the skills employees need to make operations run smoothly, Communication, Interpersonal, Multitasking and Planning skills that are useful and transferable to so many jobs within Tugende and other organizations
Hours and compensation: This position is for a full-time employee who can take on additional responsibilities as new tasks and projects come up.
Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are changing the face of the boda industry in Uganda, and proving that young men with little education can take on the responsibility of financing a significant asset and earning a liveable wage. Help be part of this movement!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of 150+ Employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our clients. Our headquarters are in Kampala, and we also have offices in Eastern and Western Uganda.
More About Tugende
Tugende means “let’s go” in Luganda and signifies the company's mission and what you say on the back of a motorcycle taxi. Tugende has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow, 2016 GSBI Fellow, and received the MIT Zambezi prize in 2015 as one of the top 3 financial inclusion start-ups in Africa. We have appeared in The Guardian, BBC, Economist, and elsewhere.
Tugende plans to expand to at least 20 locations in Uganda over the next two years as well as to expand regionally to countries such as Rwanda, Kenya and Tanzania. Tugende is currently launching a pilot in Kigali, Rwanda's capital city.
Beyond geographic growth, Tugende's future will include multiple asset finance products, value added services like insurance, and cutting-edge technology implementation for credit scoring and tools to help Tugende to reach millions of customers without losing high touch personal support.