Junior Systems Developer
Job Title: Junior Systems Developer
Vacancies Available: 2
Duty location: Head Quarters
Job Opening: 9th August, 2019
Application Deadline: 25th August 2019
Tugende is a technology enabled asset finance company with a social mission. We provide an affordable path to ownership of income-generating assets for proven entrepreneurs. Our primary product is a lease to own motorcycle financing package which includes training, life and health insurance, and active support. Tugende currently serves tens of thousands of clients in Uganda and we are preparing to extend our offering into Kenya.
With a market for motorcycle taxis of over 800,000 drivers in East Africa alone, Tugende is expanding rapidly in our core product. We are also building a platform with our staff, branches, data, systems, and deep knowledge of the informal sector, to expand into other asset financing as successfully as we have with our current core product.
About this Role:
In this position, Tugende is searching for a knowledgeable Systems Developer, with experience working in agile environments, on multiple projects and in teams who will develop smooth running and innovative web applications and software products. This Systems developer role will be essential to the Systems and Innovations Team, allowing us to maintain existing systems and build upon the ever improving systems at Tugende.
Key duties to be performed:
The job holder will perform the following duties:
1. Innovation to improve organisational efficiency
- Identifying and suggesting various opportunities to improve efficiency and functionality.
2. Project Execution
I) Project Initiation and Concept Development
- Writing concept notes
- Drafting minutes of initiation meetings
II) Project Planning
- Systematic Documentation of system requirements (both business requirements and user stories)
- Understanding requirements from a business perspective while contributing to developing and refining them.
III) Project Implementation
- Writing clean, reusable and testable code
- Following Agile principles during development
- Optimal design in algorithms
- Testing systems at all levels i.e. Unit tests, Integration tests, Behavioural tests, Stress testing
- Make use of code repos and versioning tools
- Write and implement software solutions that integrate different systems and web apis, and server-side logic
IV) Project Rollout and Closure
- Successful rollout of projects to production
- Monitoring of system performance
- Putting in place backup and rollback strategies
3. System Maintenance
Maintain systems that are already in production
- Ensure uptime for the existing systems in Tugende by employing creative ways of improving on them.
- Implement best practices in systems maintenance e.g. backup scripts, log file management, server and resource monitoring, code refactoring etc.
- Implementing data security and protection
Prefered skills, knowledge & abilities
- In-depth knowledge of different python (web) frameworks (e.g. Django, Flask, Pandas,Twisted, Numpy/Pandas,iPython, Matplotlib).
- Familiarity with web stack and underlying protocols and languages (TCP, UDP, HTTP, XML, JSON )
- Database Management (Postgres or MqSQL)
- Server setup and administration (nginx, uWSGI, gunicorn, Apache etc)
- Understanding of general coding concepts e.g. object oriented development, model view controller, restAPI, Object Relational Mappers.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning and deployment tools (such as Git, Bit bucket, Mercurial SVN or Ansible)
Preferred Qualifications and experience:
- At least 2 years’ experience in Python or any other platform Development.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Software Engineering or relevant fields.
What will you gain?
Career Trajectory: This is a role with significant leadership potential to grow as the company operations grow. Someone who does this job can be promoted to; Senior System Developer, Coordinator of innovations, Senior Systems developer, among others.
Career Development: You will constantly develop skills and further your career while working with Tugende by building knowledge and skills using Tugende systems, understanding of lease accounting, Improve computer skills, learning new methods to work with clients and help them overcome repayment challenges, Stay abreast of new innovations and financial services so as to better meet customer needs, participate in programing: Attend career development programs organized by Tugende and learn how to ride a motorcycle
Hours and compensation: This position is for a full-time employee who can take on additional responsibilities as new tasks and projects come up.
Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are changing the face of the boda industry in Uganda, and proving that young men with little education can take on the responsibility of financing a significant asset and earning a livable wage. Help be part of this movement!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of 250+ Employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our clients. Our headquarters are in Kampala, and we also have offices in Eastern and Western Uganda.
More About Tugende
Tugende means “let’s go” in Luganda and signifies the company's mission and what you say on the back of a motorcycle taxi. Tugende has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow,2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow, 2016 GSBI Fellow, and received the MIT Zambezi prize in 2015 as one of the top 3 financial inclusion start-ups in Africa. We have appeared in The Guardian, BBC, Economist, and elsewhere.
As part of our regional expansion in East African,Kenya is now launched! Beyond geographic growth, Tugende's future will include multiple asset finance products, and tools to help Tugende to reach millions of customers without losing high touch personal support.