Video Editor | Motion Graphics Designer
Job Title: Video Editor/ Motion Graphics Designer
Reporting To: Chief Operating Officer
Job Opening: July 4, 2018
Application Deadline: July 18, 2018
Duty station: Head office
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise based in Uganda. Our mission is providing finance and support to help the self employed own income generating assets. Our core product is a lease to own model for motorcycle taxi drivers (boda bodas) who own their own motorcycles in 20 months or less with weekly payments similar to what they otherwise pay to rent indefinitely from informal landlords. Ownership significantly increases income, job security and road safety.
Tugende currently serves over 6,000 active customers in Uganda through 150+ employees across 7 branches, and 5000 additional leases have already been fully repaid.
With a market for motorcycle taxis of over 800,000 drivers in East Africa alone, Tugende is expanding rapidly in our core product. We are also building a platform with our staff, branches, data, systems, and deep knowledge of earners in the informal sector, which will easily enable us to expand into other asset finance and value added services offerings in the near future.
About this Role:
We are looking for a highly motivated, self-driven professional to bring the Tugende brand to life through dynamic storytelling to advance our mission, fundraising, marketing and impact goals. Tugende’s mission is focused on people: “Helping people help themselves”.
The Video Editor/ Motion Graphics Designer leads video production efforts from concept delivery to produce videos that authentically tell the Tugende story. The ideal candidate is comfortable editing a wide range of video-content, creating motion graphics to enhance content, and act as an independent videographer and shooter as needed.
He/she handles all pre-production, production and post-production tasks. He/she is charged with building and managing the video asset collection. He/she brings a wide range of video and motion graphics expertise for online and social media content and brings new thinking to the team by experimenting with new formats and styles.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Drive company Mission
- Optimize marketing initiatives by leveraging audience insights, production realities, and Tugende’s brand story.
- Responsible for producing a wide range of multimedia projects – from concept through post-production – that advance mission, fundraising, influence and impact goals.
- Willing to experiment with format and develop styles and techniques to best capture Tugende’s emerging video brand identity.
- Stay up-to-date on video trends, techniques equipment and understands best practices in channel-specific video marketing.
- Lead all multimedia projects involving the cross-functional efforts of video, photo and content gathering team members.
- Direct staff and videographers in the field regarding video style and techniques.
- Continually improve the effectiveness of video content by leveraging insights from performance metrics in partnership with the content strategy leaders.
- Work with different teams or individuals across the company with developing content strategy, project management, creative, communications, programs and the field to bring these ideas to fruition.
- Maintain a deep understanding of brand stewardship to ensure Tugende’s brand comes to life consistently across all video products.
- Manage all pre-production tasks including developing story concepts, writing treatments and creative briefs, sourcing talent, hiring crews, scriptwriting, developing schedule and managing budget.
- Manage production tasks including field producing, conducting interviews, directing talent, filming, capturing audio.
- Manage all post-production tasks including sourcing music, directing composers, editing audio and video, editing in other languages, managing translation and transcription of audio/video interviews, subtitling, producing motion graphics, encoding in various formats, audio sweetening, sound design and color correcting.
- Project management of video projects for internal clients, in collaboration with supervisor and internal stakeholders.
- Hire and manage a team of freelancers in the creation of video assets.
- Develop implement and manage a video asset archiving system for raw footage, b-roll packages, audio, format conversions and completed project footage.
- Responsible for quality control of Tugende videos including developing and providing tools and resources to global team members to improve video quality.
- Oversee filming of company-based and local events.
- Oversee filming of video including traveling to the field to produce and shoot.
- Manages technology necessary to complete all job functions.
Knowledge and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Computer Science, Film/Photography/Graphics or related field with about 1-2 years experience in current and emerging video and graphics trends.
- Demonstrated success working independently to produce videos from raw elements into successful finished products.
- Excellent video editing, type animation and motion graphics skills
- Excellent skills using relevant video production software including the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, Media Encoder)
- Knowledge of video compression and output formats
- In-depth knowledge of video optimization techniques for a variety of channels and audiences.
- Candidates must include samples of previous works.
Key personal | professional competencies
- A high degree of professionalism,creativity and exceptional craftsmanship
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, manage multiple deadlines and complex schedules.
- Deep expertise in the technical aspects of Video editing and production
- Good communication and presentation skills
What will you gain?
Career Trajectory: This is an temporary engagement for 6 months with a possibility for a longer employment tenure.
Career Development: This role provides you an opportunity to further develop and experiment your technical skills, manage a team of people and directly working with both Tugende staff and clients as you promote our mission and brand.
Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are changing the face of the boda industry in Uganda, and proving that young men with little education can take on the responsibility of financing a significant asset and earning a liveable wage. Help be part of this movement!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of 150+ Employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our clients. Our headquarters are in Kampala, and we also have offices in Eastern and Western Uganda.
More About Tugende
Tugende means “let’s go” in Luganda and signifies the company's mission and what you say on the back of a motorcycle taxi. Tugende has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow, 2016 GSBI Fellow, and received the MIT Zambezi prize in 2015 as one of the top 3 financial inclusion start-ups in Africa. We have appeared in The Guardian, BBC, Economist, and elsewhere.
Tugende plans to expand to at least 20 locations in Uganda over the next two years as well as to expand regionally to countries such as Rwanda, Kenya and Tanzania. Tugende is currently launching a pilot in Kigali, Rwanda's capital city.
Beyond geographic growth, Tugende's future will include multiple asset finance products, value added services like insurance, and cutting-edge technology implementation for credit scoring and tools to help Tugende to reach millions of customers without losing high touch personal support.